General Pop-up Window

Retirement on your mind?

Join our Spring Retirement Seminar online on different days between April 16 - 26, at 4 p.m. (MDT) to learn about retirement finances, pension options, and the journey into retirement lifestyle. 


Register for a session today! 
NOTE: This information is only current as of Jun 21, 2024. Please visit for the most up-to-date information.

Guiding You Through Life Events

At certain stages of life, you will have a need to revisit your Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan (ASEBP) benefits. Read on to discover what to do during specific life events.

Click “expand all” and scroll down. Your searched term will be highlighted.

Maternity and Parental Leaves

If you’re going on a maternity or parental leave, here’s what to do:

  1. Contact Service Canada to see if you are eligible to receive partial income replacement through Employment Insurance (EI).
  2. Let your employer know of your plans and your expected leave schedule. Your employer will contact us to let us know about your upcoming leave.
  3. Read about your options for continuing your benefits while you’re on leave. We will also send you a leave package to read through, which has all the information you need. Contact us if you have any questions. 
  4. The benefits you had before going on leave will resume on your first day back at work.

See While on Leave for all the details around maternity and parental leaves.

Going on Leave Because You're Sick or Injured

If you think you may be away from work for an extended period of time for an injury or illness, here’s what to do:

  1. Inform your employer as soon as possible. If you're away for more than a few days for health-related reasons, your employer will advise ASEBP of your absence. 
  2. As soon as we're advised of your absence, an Extended Disability Benefits (EDB) intake facilitator or early intervention facilitator will contact you to get a better understanding of your condition and treatment plan. They will guide you through the application process, including sending an application package for you and your health care providers to fill out. Even if you’ll be away from work during a regularly-scheduled school break (e.g. summer break, winter holidays, spring break), you’ll still need to provide them with regular updates on changes in your abilities or health status that impact your return to work.
  3. Your intake facilitator will be in regular contact with you during the first 90 days of your illness/injury to support your recovery, answer any questions you have and assist in determining your eligibility for EDB. This 90-day period is called the elimination period. During the elimination period, you’ll also be assessed for ASEBP’s Early Intervention Program (EIP), which is designed to help you return to work sooner. If you’re eligible to participate, the elimination period will be prorated or extended based on the amount you work.
  4. If you have not returned to work within the 90 days, and we've received your completed application, we'll contact you to let you know if your EDB application is approved.
  5. If approved, your EDB payments will begin once the elimination period is over. EDB payments are issued electronically, so it's important that we have your most current banking information on file. You can add or update your banking details quickly online through My ASEBP on the My Profile page under the profile icon. If your EDB application is approved, most of your benefits will continue as usual. The only benefits you may be responsible to pay premiums for are Dental and Vision benefits. You can choose to decline this coverage while you’re on leave.

While you’re away from work, a claims facilitator will work with you to support you in your path back to health and your return to work. You can contact them for more information or see While on Leave for all the details around EDB.


If you're already enrolled in ASEBP’s Early Retirement benefits your coverage will automatically end on the last day of your 65th birthday month, at which point, you can apply to our MyRetiree Plan

If you are considering retirement, you can apply for our MyRetiree Plan benefits. To avoid a lapse in coverage, you should apply at least 31 days prior to your existing coverage expiring. 

 Here are some things to consider:  

  1. You'll have the option to convert your group Life Insurance policy with Canada Life. 
  2. If your spouse turns 65 before you and they are covered by your Early Retirement benefits, they must apply for Alberta’s premium-free Coverage for Seniors plan. 
    • The Coverage for Seniors plan will become the plan that pays for your and your spouse’s medical, dental and/or vision expenses first 
    • Any remaining eligible amounts will then come to us for payment 
    • We encourage your spouse to apply for this coverage as soon as they’re eligible to avoid any issues with your claims 
  3. If your spouse is under 65 and is also enrolled in our Early Retirement benefits (not as a dependant on your plan), you may be eligible to be added to their plan as a dependant if you request the change within 31 days of your coverage ending. Alternatively, you can apply to our MyRetiree Plan designed for members 50 and over. 

Are you retirement-ready? Take advantage of your Employee and Family Assistance Program to access free pre-retirement planning resources

Serious Injury or Death

If you pass away or you're involved in a serious accident that leaves you severely injured, here’s what your beneficiary should do: 

Life Insurance Claims

To open a life insurance claim, here's what to do:

  1. Your beneficiary has to contact your employer who will then contact ASEBP. 
  2. Your employer (ASEBP acts as the employer for early retirees and those participating in the Supplemental Package) will assist in gathering and/or completing the following documents:
    1. Group Life Claim Report. 
    2. Original or notarized copy of the death certificate or funeral director’s statement of death. 
    3. Original Group Insurance Enrolment form, which contains the original beneficiary declaration (this will have been filled out at the time of benefit enrolment).
    4. Any supporting documentation reflecting changes to beneficiary information. 
  3. Take note of any additional life insurance coverage that exists, as ASEBP will ask them to declare additional coverage.
  4. If they have any questions about the claim, please contact us directly.
  5. Once the claim has been processed, we will forward payments to your designated beneficiary/ies. 

Please note that if your death is considered accidental, your beneficiary/ies may be eligible for additional reimbursement through your Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefits.

Accidental Death & Dismemberment Claims

Accidental Death

In the case of accidental death, here’s what to do:

  1. To open a claim, your beneficiary or next of kin must contact your employer within 30 days of your death to let your employer know that they intend to file a claim. Your employer will then notify ASEBP. Your next of kin or beneficiary will need to contact ASEBP directly if you are:
    • An early retiree
    • Participating in the Supplemental Package
    • Participating in the Retirement Incentives for Teachers and Employees (RITE) program
    • Resigned and receiving Extended Disability Benefits (no longer connected to a specific employer)
  2. Your beneficiary must then gather and/or complete the following documents:
    1. Accidental death claim forms (must be submitted within 90 days of the death).
    2. Original or notarized copy of the death certificate or funeral director's statement of death.
  3. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, additional information may be required before a claim can be settled, so your beneficiary should be prepared to provide as much information as possible about the accident.
  4. If there are any questions about the claim, your beneficiary should contact us directly.
  5. Once the claim is processed, we will forward payment to your designated beneficiary/ies.

All documents must be received by ASEBP within 12 months of the date of the accident.

Dismemberment or Loss of Use

For dismemberment or loss of use of a body part/function as a result of an accident, here’s what to do:

  1. Call or write to us within 30 days of the accident to let us know you intend to file a claim.
  2. Provide us with completed claim forms within 90 days of the accident (we will forward all documentation on to Industrial Alliance Pacific for processing).
  3. All documentation must be sent in within 12 months of the date of the accident.
  4. If you have any questions about the claim, please contact us directly.
  5. Once the claim is processed, we will forward payment to your beneficiary/ies.

All documentation must be received by ASEBP within 12 months of the date of the accident.

See Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment for full details. 

Benefit Inquiries


Fax 780-438-5304
Toll Free 1-877-438-4545