Helpful Summer Benefit Reminders
Using Your Benefits
Summer’s upon us! As you dip into summer mode, remember to keep your benefits in mind so they can continue to support you over the coming months. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Keep us in the loop. Unfortunately, medical accidents and injuries can happen at any time of year. If you end up ill or injured this summer—or during any other regularly-scheduled school break—let your employer know right away. This time may count towards the 90-day elimination period (which starts on the day you become ill or injured, not when you’re expected back at work) for Extended Disability Benefits. You may even qualify for the Early Intervention Program.
- Remember the most important dates. Some of you may have employment contracts that ended recently. It’s important to remember that you may submit claims from services prior to your contract end date to your Spending Account(s). You’ll have 60 days from the contract end date to submit those claims for the plan year (September 1, 2019 to August 31, 2020). Be sure to refill your prescription medication before the end of your contract too.
- Prepare yourself. You’re planning on retiring early? Congratulations! Before you embark on this new adventure, check out Guiding you Through Life Events for some helpful benefit pointers.
- Make sure everyone’s along for the ride. If you’re celebrating a marriage or perhaps the birth or adoption of a child, don’t forget to add your new dependant to your ASEBP benefits. You can add or remove a dependant by contacting your employer within 31 days of a life event.
- Brush up on your benefit coverage. When hitting the open road, travel with confidence this summer knowing your ASEBP benefits have your back. Just make sure to review your Travel Emergencies coverage before you leave.
If you have questions about any of the situations above or best practices for managing your benefits over the summer, we're here to help!