Winter Wellness: Benefitting from your Benefits
Using Your Benefits
Winter is something all Albertans are more than familiar with, from the snow and icy temperatures to the winter activities and hot beverages. As we navigate our way through the current deep freeze, know that you have tons of options to help you stay cozy and active year-round. Here are a few tips to keep you toasty:
- If you haven’t done so, you can still get your influenza immunization. It’s prime time for nasty colds to spread around the home and workplace and the influenza immunization is a great way to set up your body’s own defense system. Alberta Health Services has an easy online tool to find a clinic near you.
- All this cold weather can leave you feeling less than sunny. Remember, you can access your Employee and Family Assistance Program through Homewood Health any day of the year, no matter how cold, to ensure your mental health is taken care of too.
- At the start of January, the Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan (ASEBP) increased coverage for services like acupuncture, massage and physiotherapy. Getting the low-down on all things paramedical may inspire you to book a few more sessions with your massage therapist and take full advantage of your benefits. Your stiff winter muscles will thank you for it!
- If you’re one of the lucky ones flying to warmer climates this winter, remember that you have travel coverage included in your benefits. Learn all there is to know before boarding that flight to sunny spots.
- And, if you’re sticking around to enjoy the entire season, be sure you embrace winter activities by throwing on a thermal layer and playing outside. Your mind and body will thank you for it! Just don’t forget to think like a penguin on those slippery sidewalks.
Although you may feel like a bit of a frosty snowman these days, know that ASEBP’s here to help shake away the winter blues so that you’re working towards your happiest, healthiest self—even if it feels like we’re stuck in a snow globe.