It Takes a Village
The last year hasn’t been easy. All the changes, continued uncertainty and ongoing stress affects how we feel, think and act. It takes strength to acknowledge these feelings and say, “I’m not okay.”
We're Here to Help
While these first steps can be the scariest, know that you aren’t alone. It takes a community of people—a village—to navigate these uncertain times. You can rely on ASEBP to connect you with expert advice and information to help you find the support you need now.
Find the Information You Need
|Healthy Workplaces: supporting mental health in the workplace.||Learnings: webinars, courses and videos to help you manage your mental health and wellbeing. Register for our FREE stress management webinar!||Mental Wellness: online and community supports and resources for addictions, marginalized populations and suicide prevention.|
|Relationships: resources to navigate unhealthy and unsafe relationships.||Self-Assessment: tools to help you assess your well-being.||Self-care: self-care resources including physical activity, relaxation/meditation, better sleep and nutrition.|
|Youth Mental Health: helping youth manage stress and anxiety.|
Your ASEBP benefit plan covers a range of health and wellness services, including psychology visits, physiotherapy and more. You can also seek support through your Employee and Family Assistance Program. For more information, call us at 1-877-431-4786.
|Mental Health Help Line||Addictions Help Line||Get Help Now|
|Call 1-877-303-2642 (toll-free) to speak with a mental health specialist, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.||Get confidential support and referrals for alcohol, tobacco, other drugs and problem gambling by calling 1-866-332-2322 (toll-free).||If you're in crisis or have thoughts of self-harm call a distress line, dial 911 or go to the nearest emergency department.|
Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
Your Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) is available for you and your family, through Homewood Health. Contact Your EFAP at 1-800-663-1142 (English) or 1-866-398-9505 (French) to get connected to confidential counselling services, 24/7, at no charge. ASEBP benefit plan members must create a Homeweb account to access articles and e-chat supports.
- COVID-19: The Second Wave and Mental Health (EN) | (FR)
- How to Speak to Children (EN/FR)
- Managing the Impact (EN) |(FR)
- Managing Stress and Anxiety (EN/FR)
- Parenting During a Pandemic (EN/FR)
- Quelling COVID-19 Anxiety (EN/FR)
- Reducing Anxiety and Managing the Transition Back to the Classroom (EN) | (FR)
- Those with Family Members in Long-Term Care Facilities (EN/FR)
Information and Supports
Learnings: Webinars, Courses, Videos
Stress Management Webinars
Register for a free online webinar to learn how stress affects the body and mind, including how to use three HeartMath® breathing techniques to help you manage stress at work and at home.
This webinar is facilitated by Alberta Health Services for ASEBP covered members.
The online course is offered as a two-part series. Please note you must attend part one before attending part two, to allow time for you to practice and evaluate the techniques. Please choose from an afternoon or evening session.
Registration deadline is March 15, 2021.
Transform Your Stress: The Resilience Advantage—Strategies for Managing Stress in
Once you register, you will receive an email confirmation from Alberta Health Services with
information about how to join the webinar.
Positive Psychology Module
Wellness: Hitting the Happiness Button: This 1 hour module provides K-12 educators with practical ways to use positive psychology to maintain personal wellness
- Togetherall: a free, online network that offers anonymous, peer-to-peer mental health services 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Togetherall is clinically moderated by registered mental health practitioners and free to all Albertans 16 and older. To register, use your Alberta postal code.
- Text4Hope: Albertans looking for mental health support can sign up for a free daily text messaging services. To subscribe text COVID19HOPE to 393939.
- Income Support (Alberta): 1-866-644-5135
- MyASEBP Service Providers (online search tool)
Addiction and Mental Health Services
- Addiction and Mental Health Helpline: 1-866-332-2322
- Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868 or text CONNECT to 686868
- Mental Health Helpline: 1-877-303-2642 (24/7)
- Understanding Substance Abuse
- Mental Health Guides and Publications
- Mental Health Posters
- Social Support
Black, Indigenous and People of Colour Mental Health Services
- Africa Centre: provides various programs for members of the African descent community, including free virtual counselling sessions in partnership with the Alberta Black Therapists Network
- Black Mental Health Canada Inc.: provide at-risk individuals within the black community access to affordable mental health services and education in the face of stigma, risk factors, and barriers to care
- Black Youth Helpline: multicultural helpline and services for children, youth, families, school boards and other youth serving organizations
- Crisis Services Canada Resources for Marginalized Communities and Allies
- First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line: 1-855-242-3310
- National Association of Friendship Centres: provide culturally enhanced programs and services to urban Indigenous residents
- Alex Youth Health Centre (Calgary): support for vulnerable populations for youth between 12 and 24.
- Central Alberta Pride Society (Red Deer): education and information for the LGBTQ2S+ community in central Alberta
- End of the Rainbow Foundation: education, mentorship and support services for LGBTQ+ and sexually diverse (SOGIE) individuals, including newcomers to Canada
- Outlink (Calgary): drop-in peer support, online resources, community programs
- Pflag Canada: peer-to-peer support for individuals and their families struggling with issues around sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression
- Pride Centre of Edmonton: resources, education, counselling and more
- Skipping Stone: acts as a hub to provide youth and families with peer support, mental health support, medical services, ID changes and more
- Trans Lifeline (Canada/US): resources and peer support hotline
- Adult Addiction and Mental Health Services: North | Edmonton | Central | Calgary | South
- Child and Adolescent Addiction and Mental Health Services: North | Edmonton | Central | Calgary | South
- Provincial Family Violence Treatment Centres
- Addiction and Mental Health: Opioid Dependency
- Geriatric Mental Health Services (Seniors): North | Edmonton | Central | Calgary | South
Suicide Prevention and Support
Thoughts of suicide? Caring for someone at-risk for suicide? These resources are here to help:
- Mental Health Help Line: 1-877-303-2642, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for caregivers and those at-risk of suicide or self-harm.
- ConnecTeen: Text (587-333-2724) and online chat options are available for all Alberta youth Monday to Friday, 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday to Sunday, noon to 10 p.m.
- First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line: 1-855-242-3310, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Clients can also access an online chat.
- Health Link: 811
- Healing After a Loved One's Suicide Death
- Hope and Healing: A Guide For People Who Have Lost Someone to Suicide
- Healing Your Spirit: Surviving After the Suicide of a Loved One
- Self-Management For Depression and Anxiety: nutrition, physical activity and sleep to help you manage stress, depression and anxiety
- Calming/meditation resources
- Stress and Your Health: brochure | poster
- Parents Take Care of Yourself
- Stress Coping Skills For Everyday
- Your Diabetes Questions, Answered!
Youth Mental Health Resources
- Coping and Connection For Children & Families During COVID-19
- Coping at Home For Families: Activity Resource
- Healthy Together: A Guide to Family and Home Life During COVID-19
- Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868 or text CONNECT to 686868
- Talking to Kids About Coronavirus
- Webinars for K-12 staff Teaching and Working Through the COVID-19 Pandemic
- What is Stress?