As part of the Business Technology Services (BTS) department, the Database Administrator is responsible for the efficient and secure operations of ASEBP’s application database systems and data warehouse. The Database Administrator is accountable primarily for the delivery of support and technical solutions for ASEBP’s database systems, including database design, security, maintenance, and performance.
Your Key Responsibilities
Design, implement and maintain the database environment
- Investigate, evaluate, and make necessary changes/enhancements to existing database systems to resolve system and related process issues.
- Ensure database systems are maintained to be highly performant and secure.
- Create and maintain SSIS packages as required.
- Optimize and tune database systems to be highly performant through use of creating, reviewing, and maintaining queries and indexes.
- Ensure technical designs are architected to be flexible, scalable and maintainable.
Business Intelligence and Reporting
- Assist ASEBP’s Business Intelligence team to ensure efficient operations of ASEBP’s data warehouse, ETL processes, and reporting systems.
- Investigate, evaluate, and make necessary changes/enhancements to existing data warehouse systems to resolve system and performance-related issues.
- Ensure reporting systems are maintained to be highly performant and secure.
Monitor and address system performance issues
- Using database and server monitoring tools, identify system performance issues and trends and escalate or address issues accordingly.
- Develop baselines for system performance to properly identify performance changes and trends.
- Ensure that proper security is applied at the database security level for various ASEBP systems.
Project and Organizational Support
- Collaborate with internal technology leaders to develop and implement standards, processes and best practices
- Provide technical guidance and assistance for application development project teams, including dev/test environment management and project team database access.
- As a database expert, write database scripts (stored procedures, functions, views, etc.) to meet project requirements.
- Review and implement database changes as they relate to project requirements to ensure proper database design and best practices.
Ensure project requirements are implemented to be highly secure and performant Application and Systems Support
- Respond to escalated IT service requests; determine root cause problems and resolve.
- Maintain the IT knowledge base and create new/update existing knowledge base documentation.
- Provide timely communication to ASEBP staff regarding the status of their request.
- Identify system trends and develop solutions to address common requests.
Your Education and Experience
- Completion of a two-year technical or community college certificate in Computer Science or Information Technology. A Bachelor’s degree would be an asset.
- Minimum 5+ years of relevant experience with Microsoft SQL Server.
- MCSA (SQL Server) or equivalent certification.
- MCSE (Business Intelligence) or equivalent certification would be an asset.
- Demonstrable experience with SQL Server:
- T-SQL queries
- Profile tools
- Stored procedures, views, triggers, and functions
- Advanced table design (partitioning, compression, indexing)
- Performance tuning
- Security and encryption
- Backup and recovery
- Database provisioning
- ETL and data warehousing
- The following experience would be considered an asset:
- Agile project methodology
- Project management
- Report development
- Demonstrated technical understanding and experience with client server environments.
- The desire to work in a strong team environment to achieve organizational goals, with the ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to translate industry standards and best practices into workable operational strategies for ASEBP.
- Benefits and/or insurance experience considered an asset.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in addition to strong interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to identify system and organizational problems, determine possible solutions, and communicate these ideas effectively.
How To Apply
If you have the required qualifications and would like to become a member of our team, please submit your resume, This job posting will remain open until the position has been filled.
No phone calls please. We thank all interested individuals, but only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted. ASEBP is an equal opportunity employer.
All offers of employment for this position are conditional upon satisfactory background and reference checks, which may include a criminal record check, a credit check, and/or education and employment verification.